Mercury transit on November the 11th, 2019
05/11/2019 - 17:30
During the Mercury transit on November the 11th, 2019, IAS researchers and the ALCOR astronomy club will organize an afternoon with observations of the Sun, conferences, and workshops. This event will take place on the University campus at the new physics teaching building, "hbar" (building 625).
The Mercury transit will take place from 13:35 until after sunset (17:15).
- 13:00 – 17:30: weather permitting, observations of the Mercury transit from the roof of the building; live display (in an amphitheater) of observations made from the main telescope of the building, or from a space telescope; discussion with professional astrophysicists and amateur astronomers; solar spectroscopy workshop for kids.
- Three 30-min conferences (in French) :
- 14:15 – 14:45: "Touching the Sun with Parker Solar Probe and Solar Orbiter", by Frédéric Auchère
- 15:15 – 15:45: "The space exploration of Mercury", by Mathieu Vincendon
- 16:15 – 16:45: "Amateur astronomy observations: what can be done in the Paris region", by Emmanuel Beaudoin
- From 18:00: weather permitting, night sky observations from the roof and dome of building 625.